Wednesday, March 29, 2006

More of the same

What's that, you say? There weren't enough kitty pictures yesterday, and you need more? Here you go...

Geronimo looking a little scary outside:

Mirando taking a little break:

Their cousin (?) Hektor. Hektor tries to tackle Mirando sometimes, but he's too small to take Mirando down. Mirando gets annoyed by this, but they don't actually fight.

Their cousin Cassie, who may be the crankiest cat ever.

The boys rest on the porch. All that fresh air is exhausting.


Knitting: I finished the short row section on Picovoli. I short-rowed until I had 12 stitches wrapped on each side. I think that should be good. I started the short rows halfway through the bust section (after 18 of the 36 rows). I'm on ball of Shine #3. Maybe a progress photo tomorrow. I think I'll also try it on after I finish the bust section. Still mulling over the shawl. I want to make something worthy of the yarn, but not overcrowded. I love the shawls with tons of lace patterns, but those are better for solid colors, I think.

Reading: I finished Death on Demand. It was a perfectly serviceable mystery, but I knew who the killer was very early on. I prefer to keep guessing through a lot of the book. I'm not sure what next. I was looking through my piles of books trying to decide. Maybe Ella Minnow Pea. We'll see.

Writing: Over 16,500 words! I finished the torturous scene with the flirting. Better to torture the author than the reader, I guess. On to the rest of Chapter 4 (and on to 20,000 words!).

Cooking: Mushroom-Goat Cheese thing was very good. Let's see if I remember how I made it. And this is just the way I made it because of what I had in the fridge and pantry. If I'd had fresh basil, I would have used that. If I'd had plain crushed tomatoes, I would have used those and my own seasoning to taste instead (I still don't know why I had flavored crushed tomaroes in the pantry--accidentally grabbed them in that aisle in the store? had a recipe I thought I'd make and changed my mind?) I might try a different mix of mushrooms, as well. The sauce is also very saucy, which I like, but you could grate in a carrot or chuck in some breadcrumbs to make it thicker.

Pasta With Mushrooms and Goat Cheese

1 pound pasta (I used angel hair), cooked according to package directions, drained
1 TBL olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
6 oz. portabella mushroom caps, diced
1/3 cup red wine
1 28-oz can garlic and herb crushed tomatoes
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 oz goat cheese
1/2 cup greek olives, sliced

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms begin to give up liquid. Add wine; bring to a boil. Simmer, partially covered, until wine has reduced by about half. Add tomatoes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve over pasta with goat cheese and olives. Serves 4 to 6.

2 comments:

String Bean said...

Nice kitty pictures! Mirando does look a bit scary.

I made the cake yesterday! It is So delicious! MMMMM-MMM! That espresso cream sauce! Who knew tofu could be so heavenly? I can't get over how good it is! Yummyyummyyummyyummyyummy!Mmm!

Yum!

Did your search for the perfect rose come to fruition?

Rain said...

They looks so sweet all snuggled up together.