Friday, August 18, 2006

Free Pattern - Manly Hat

This pattern is based on one I stumbled across somewhere for a child's hat. I have made this hat three times; once with Mountain Colors 4/8s wool in Mountain Twilight, once with Debbie Bliss Merino Aran in charcoal, and most recently with two strands of Jaeger Baby Merino DK in indigo. (Notice the manly colors.) It's fairly stretchy and will fit a wide range of head sizes. The bottom can be turned up or pulled down to cover more of the face and ears. The Jaeger hat is VERY WARM with the doubled yarn, and I made it for a friend moving to Canada (Hi, Tim!). I did NOT make him wear the hat in the August heat so I could get a picture, and the cats declined to model, but here it is reclining on the pappasan chair.



Yarn: Any worsted or heavy worsted yarn (or even doubled DK)
Gauge: 4 stitches per inch in pattern
Needles: 16" circular needle, size 9; dpns, size 9

Cast on 92 stitches. Place marker and join, being careful not to twist.
Row 1: k2, p2 to end
Row 2: k1, *(p2, k2); repeat from *; end k1
Repeat these two rows until the hat measures 9" from cast-on edge, ending with Row 1.
Decrease row: ssk, p2tog to end (switch to dpns when needed)
Work Rows 1 and 2, then Row 1 once more.
Decrease row: ssk, p2tog to end
Knit one row.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Using a yarn needle, pull yarn through remaining loops twice. Pull tight to close top of hat. Weave in ends. No blocking required.

Optional matching Manly Scarf:

Cast on 20 stitches. Work Rows 1 and 2 until scarf is desired length. Bind off. Weave in ends. For a wider scarf, cast on 32 stitches.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! My hat is famous!

Rachel said...

Nice hat! It may be manly, but I actually wouldn't mind one for myself when the coldest weather hits.

Sorry I've been so delinquent in reading and commenting. I don't know where the time goes, and then suddenly my Bloglines have exploded!

P.S. Why don't you allow non-Blogger commenters to comment? I use my old Blogger account just so I can comment, but it's not the blog I use anymore.

Anonymous said...

Rachel is right , its a very nice hat i wear one just like it , i have one in navy blue and one in creamy white.
Both keep me warm to and from college or on dates.
My BF has a Dark brown one just like it , frames his dark eyes just great!

He also has another one which is Dark Green which has a Pompom at the top (I chose it despite his protests which fell upon deaf ears,... chuckle!!!)

Yes it can be a very manly hat, in fact i first met my BF in his Dark brown hat :)