Monday, March 13, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like...


...not Christmas, but time to think about Christmas knitting. This time last year, I started my Christmas gifts. I made 3 shawls, 7 adult sweaters, 6 baby sweaters, 4 felted bags, 5 pairs slippers, 11 scarves, 2 hats, and a partridge in a pear tree. This year, I have lots more knitting for me planned in, so Christmas will be less...insane. Last year, the only things I made for myself were Pin-Up Queen and Furry Foot Warmers from Stitch 'n' Bitch. The 9 months of deadline knitting really did speed up my knitting, though, I mastered several new techniques, and I felt pretty accomplished when I packed up two duffle bags full of knitting to take to various friends and relatives.

This year, I'm not starting my Christmas knitting until October, and I'm going to be less comprehensive. If I run across a pattern that's just perfect for someone, I'll plan it in, babies *always* get stuff from me, and there are adorable small projects out there that I think I’ll make for extended family, but I'm not going nuts on gifts this year. I need a break :)

Knitting: Getting close to the end of Tubey!

Reading: Still stalled.

Writing: Still at 12,500. Must make more progress today.

Cooking: We desperately need to go to the grocery store, so nothing new.

3 comments:

leedav said...

Holy crap that's a lot of Christmas knitting! I think this year is the first time I'm doing any Xmas presents but I HAVE to plan for it now or it really won't happen. Do you think the gifts were appreciated. That's always what I'm afraid of when making things for non-knitters.

snowdrop said...

I'm starting stuff for Christmas, too... It's going to be socks, socks, socks... I think. I worry people won't really appreciate it as well... Maybe I'll never want to knit another sock again by the time December comes around, but I doubt it!

String Bean said...

But I knit stuff for people LAST year! You can't expect me to knit something for everyone every single year. Although I do come through with a pair of socks for mom every Christmas.