Tuesday, February 14, 2006

They're twitterpated!

Today we celebrate the life and death of St. Valentine. Actually, three St. Valentines, all of whom were martyred. What are the odds? One was a Roman priest who performed marriages in defiance of Claudius II's decree that all soldiers must be single (or possibly, helped Christians escape torture). Naturally, he was killed for one of these reasons, though accounts vary as to 'beaten with clubs then beheaded' versus the more prosaic 'illness in prison'. At any rate, catholic.org says that he is the patron saint of " affianced couples, bee keepers, engaged couples, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, happy marriages, love, lovers, plague, travellers, young people." February 14 is associated with love (rather than torture and murder) because in the Middle Ages, it was believed to be the date that the birds began to pair. So, enjoy the day, fainting beekeepers.

Let's see the Christening Shawl, all finished. If I made this again, I think I would make the eyelets for the ribbon further apart. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it. It makes its public appearance this weekend.



Belle Epoque is blocking (takes two days for things to dry in winter here), so I'll get my husband to take better pictures tomorrow.

Writing: Draft one of chapter one of the Magical Mystery Tour is done. It needs some work, which I'll probably do in a few hours this week, then go on to finish draft one of chapter two.

I keep a notebook (and pen, which the cats usually knock onto the floor) by my bed. I used to wake up all the time with bits of poems or fiction that I'd need to write down. It's happened only very rarely for a while, I suppose because of soul-sucking (I mean, law) school, then my weight-of-the-world day job. But last night, I woke up to write from midnight to one some bits of the literary novel I've been dreaming about. It was fantabulous. Unfortunately, I now have to learn kind of a lot about 1880s architecture, building renovation, and the stock market crash of 1929 to write it, but it's all just part of the process.

Reading: Nothing new. Still on White Teeth.

Cooking: I'm making truffles on Thursday. I'll put up pictures. I may have to make broth tomorrow. I've been eating soup at a frightening rate, and my supply is never going to last until spring.

No comments: