Thursday, February 02, 2006

A recipe for...


Above, Geronimo and Mirando snuggled together with my husband in the background. The afghan stays on our futon, in the middle, unless we have company. It was a gift made by my grandmother, who crochets. The boys *love* the afghan.


Yesterday was more of an "unpleasant errand day" than a "let me tell you about my great day". I still managed to write one page, and I hope to finish chapter one today.


Knitting: Almost finished with the body of the christening shawl! Two inches to go.


Cooking: Still working on the tofu soup. I think I added one too many vegetables to it last night. Instead of peas, I used broccoli, water chestnuts, celery, bamboo shoots, and baby corn. Too busy. I think I was closer with just peas. And it's still missing...something. Maybe ginger. And not exactly cooking related, but food related...A friend told me that Dave Barry has a blog, which happens to be very entertaining. But I clicked on a link to a news story he'd featured, and...ew. Here's the news story. Apparently, some common food products, instead of being colored with the Red No. 40 we all know and love (remember when they pulled red M & Ms off the market?), are colored with beetle-derived dye, and some groups want the company to have to note that on the ingredient list. Now, boysenberries aren't an appealing enough color in their natural state, and need some beetle juice added? Ew. So, here's the yogurt recipe I've been making for a while: Take one cup of plain nonfat or lowfat yogurt, add a half teaspoon of vanilla extract, add one cup frozen berries (defrosted), and sweeten to taste with honey, sugar, or brown sugar (I usually use 2 teaspoons). Serves one or two. Add beetle extract, if desired...

No comments: