Wednesday, May 17, 2006

State of the Yarn

I did finally cast on for the Indian Summer Shawl last night, but intrigued by Rachel's On Deck and To Knit Someday suggestions for planning, I went through the spreadsheet of yarn stash and projects, and came up with this list:

Patterns with yarn:

Indian Summer Shawl
Kitty Pi
Coffee Cozy (to fit over French press)
Felted Bracelet Bag in black
Broadripple Socks (Strawberry Banana)

Something Red (have to wind Rowanspun 4-Ply & swatch doubled)
Vintage Beaded Gloves from Handknit Holidays
Beaded Hat from Handknit Holidays
Gryffindor Socks
Tiger Socks
Hopeful (Rowan Wool-Cotton)
Thistle Leaves Scarf (Blackberry Ridge)
Chasing Butterflies Scarf (Blackberry Ridge)
Snowdrop Shawl (Zephyr Wool-Silk)
V-Neck Vest (Jaeger Luxury Tweed in Imperial - warm yarn)
Silk Ribbed Lace Corset (Peruvian Collection Baby Silk)
Odessa
Angora Baby Booties
Ribbon-Tied Bonnet
Reid (I knew I kept that Patons Grace in the stash for a reason!)

Patterns with no yarn:

Bella Paquita (worsted - 800 yds)
Heavenly Stole & Scarf from Knitter’s Stash (fingering - 1200 yds)
Bristow (DK/light worsted - 1400 yds)
Essential Stripe (worsted - 1200 yds or sport - 1320 yds)
Lacy Little Top (fingering - 1000 yds)
Festive (light worsted - 780 yds)
Blaze (fingering - 1020 yds)
Clapotis

Yarn with no pattern:

Rowan 4-Ply Cotton in Bloom (fingering - 1020 yards)
Rowanspun DK in Mist (DK - 1320 yards)
Rowanspun DK Wool in Eau de mil (DK - 2180 yards)
Jo Sharp DK Wool in Seashell (DK - 2140 yards)
Rowanspun 4-Ply in Turkish (fingering - 972 yards)
Rowanspun 4-Ply in Lunar (fingering - 2916 yards)
Knitpicks Shimmer in Morning Mist (lace - 1320 yards)
Pakucho Organic Cotton in Chocolate and Avocado (worsted - 400 yards each)
Cascade 220 in Blue-Green and Light Grey (worsted - 880 yards each)
Tencel/Wool mystery blend in Black (worsted - about 1200 yards)
Cone of mystery green yarn that I think is DK
Southwest Trading Company Bamboo (DK - 250 yards)
Oy, with the sparkly ladder yarn already (can’t handle adding up yardage)

Baby stuff yarn:

Knitpicks Crayon in Purple (DK - 412 yards)
Jaeger Baby Merino DK in Royal (390 yards)
Jaeger Baby Merino DK in Indigo (520 yards)
Berocco Lullaby in light blue (worsted - 252 yards)
Knitpicks Shine in Sky (sport - 600 yards)
Snowflake Sirdar in four colors (bulky - 274 yards each)

This is already helpful because I can match up yarn without patterns and patterns without yarn. For instance, I thought, "Hey, I can do a Bella Paquita in Cascade 220!" Of course, I pulled out the yarn and went to cast on and realized I had no idea how many stitches to cast on. I downloaded the chart things, but I wasn't in the mood to decode everything I needed to. Has anyone made this? Any tips? If anyone has any suggested yarn/pattern pairings, I would love to hear them. I'd like to do something with the Pakucho Cotton...something cool, but I have no idea with the amount I have. Maybe baby clothes?

Reading: Still on a fluffy book.

Writing: Still in the early stages of Chapter 6.

Cooking: Still eating leftovers. We're going camping this weekend, and we have lots of supplies for our pie iron thingys. Apple Pie, Pizza, Burritos, Potatoes...man, you can make anything in those things. Keep your fingers crossed we can get a fire lit :) If anything turns out fabulous, I'll post Camping Recipes next week. KnitPastis, I'm excited the bay leaf suggestion helped! Especially when I'm using water instead of broth in soup, a bay leaf can make a huge difference.

6 comments:

String Bean said...

The spreadsheet is a good idea, but I don't know if I have the stamina to do one for me.

reluctantMANGO said...

WOW! What a list, it puts my haphazard post-it lists to shame...

In response to your T-twist question, you have it just right... i did a right-leaning decrease, knit a few, then a left leaning decrease. Worked like a charm! If I had it to do over, I might have added some cabling to the stitches between the decreases... just a suggestion :)

Rain said...

Wow, you're organised. I think it's good to have a plan. I am in denial with my list, so I look forward to seeing you work your way through yours.

Marie said...

Wow! That's a very impressive list! I'm very intrigued by the names of the patterns...what is the Indian Summer Shawl and the Thistle Leaves scarf?

AJ said...

I'm really not sure what to say. I just stumbled upon your blog. I'm not sure if I should be jealous with envy that you are organized or what! Kudos to you!

KnitPastis said...

Wooooo, you gotta let me in on the iron thingy for camp cooking! You are so darn organized. Maybe one day you will motivate me to clean out my closets. About the only thing on my list. Funny because I am totally neat with everything else in the house. LOL