Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Better write me a ticket...

...because I'm Jaywalking! (Man, I crack myself up...) Here they are (pick your favorite view):








I finished them up last night during Return of the Jedi :) Details:

Pattern: Jaywalkers by Grumperina.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces in Tahoe, two skeins. I made the larger size Jaywalker (after frogging the smaller size), and had a total of one ounce of yarn left.
Tools: Clover Bamboo DPNs; size 1, 7"
Comments: I loved the needles--nice and flexible, but strong. I love, love, love this yarn. The colors didn't work out to be exactly the same on each sock, but I think that's part of the charm of variegated yarn. Did I like the pattern? Well, it's enjoyable to knit. Now that I have the socks on my feet, they are extremely comfortable. How's that for a vague answer? Let's try a couple of more specific questions. Would I make them again? No. I have one pair now, and I think that's plenty. I think there are enough sock patterns out there that aren't so inflexible that getting them on your feet qualifies as aerobic activity. I would never make these as a gift, unless I knew someone's feet so well I was certain they would fit AND I knew the person really enjoyed struggling to get socks on her feet. They're lovely, but wildly impractical. Would I recommend the pattern to someone else? Sure. Just don't make the small size unless you have freakishly small feet, and know in advance that getting them on and off is a pain. This was my first pair of socks (FuzzyFeet aside), and I enjoyed the knitting experience. I'm not averse to knitting more socks. I haven't taken the socks off my feet yet--what a nice little luxury handknit socks are. And the colors--I would never wear something this variegated anywhere but my feet!

Other knitting: I'd like to start my Indian Summer Shawl next. I know I'm at the point where I just need to start, and if it's not working out, I can rip back and change the pattern. I still have my T-Twist to re-do from the yoke up (although now that I'm going to ripping back, I'm tempted to add a couple of inches to the length, too). I have Kitty Pi sitting on the needles. I might start another pair of socks. I scored some Gryffindor striping sock yarn from Sunshine Yarns for my husband for Christmas (and I just got a second skein for me!), and I have some Opal Rainforest in Tiger for my husband as well. And then, I have my Strawberry Banana from Sunshine Yarns for me. I have a vest I want to make in Jaeger Luxury Tweed. Something Red in Rowanspun. And I haven't really been thinking about Christmas gifts at all. Yikes. Maybe I need a serious "state of the knitting" determination to prioritize projects. And another organizing trip through the stash.

Writing: Just noodling around with Chapter 6. The victim's funeral is in this chapter.

Reading: Not really into The History of Love yet, but I have a while till my next book club meeting, so I'm on fluffy reading again.

Cooking; Yesterday, I made a "use up the veggies" soup that turned out quite well. You have to like leeks and cauliflower, though, since it's very lightly seasoned.

Cauliflower-Leek Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
3 large leeks, halved and sliced (white and light green parts only
1 cauliflower, separated into florets
1 medium baking potato, cubed
6 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bay leaf and leeks; cook for 5-8 minutes, until leek is fragrant. Add cauliflower and potato; cover with water (about 6 cups). Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Adjust seasonings as needed. Makes about 12 cups.

11 comments:

Steph said...

The jaywalkers are beautiful, even if it is the most inflexible pattern ever. I'm (slowly) making a pair in Trekking on size 2 needles, and so far they fit my husband's size 12 foot. I think any socks in my future will have short row heels.

Rachel said...

Your Jaywalkers look really great! I like socks for the opportunity for beautiful variegated colors that they offer -- like you, I don't much care for variegated yarns elsewhere.

Sounds like you need to make a game plan for your knitting. I have "on deck" and "someday" sections of my blog sidebar that I find psychologically satisfying.

Annie said...

They look great! Beautiful colors and it pooled just enough (IMO). I have trouble getting mine on and off, too. They develop a little more give over time...

Rain said...

Blimey, I blinked and you finished. They look fab.

KnitPastis said...

They are perfecto baby!!! They really are! hmmmm, the soup sounds so good especially when I saw that you were putting a bay leaf in it!

Stefaneener said...

Yep -- that's why I am going to frog mine. It takes me so freaking long to knit anything that it has to work perfectly to qualify. Yours, of course, are tremendously beautiful.

And you knitted them in a flash. Hail to your socks.

KnitPastis said...

Just wanted to tell you I tried my leek soup with the bay leaf and it gave it just the right touch of flavor that it needed. It was so bland before. Thank you!!

String Bean said...

That was quick. They look great.

I thought about making soup yesterday, but it was way too hot. (80 degrees F) Today I'm sticking to fruit salad and guacamole. Maybe some cold cereal. Ambitious, eh?

Guess what? I don't think I have moths! I haven't seen any for a week. Hurrah!

Stealing your soup recipe...think I can eat it cold?

Marie said...

I really like how they turned out! The colors are just beautiful. I have some of that colorway of Lorna's Laces in my stash and have yet to be able to bring myself beyond just admiring it in the skeins.

Knittypants said...

Beautiful jaywalkers, I love the color.

Pennie said...

love the jaywalkers . . . great job.