Wednesday, May 03, 2006

On the home stretch

I've been posting actual knitting pictures on my knitting blog (go figure), so there haven't been cat pictures recently. Since T-Twist is almost done, I'll wait to post another photo of it until tomorrow.
Geronimo, looking normal, and then scary. Check out the fangs. And our vet wants us to brush his teeth now!


Mirando, just hanging out on the back of the futon, then looking goofy with his ears back.



Knitting: Almost finished with T-Twist. I have seven yoke decreases left. I added an extra 6 rows to the sleeves, so we'll see how that turns out. The pooling has resulted in vague stripes that narrow as they go up the garment. Not the effect I planned on, but really pretty cool. I'm starting to think I have to rip out my Jaywalker and knit the bigger size after reading a thread over on the Knittyboard about how these are too tight on practically everyone. Now, will I actually do that, or will I completely abandon the entire Jaywalker project? Only time will tell. I do love the yarn, so that's in its favor.

String Bean, I'm glad you came out from under the table. Here's your vodka with lime :)
KnitPastis, I love that my knitting post made you head out to DQ! Obviously, I have to steer clear of food-resembling yarns in the future.
YarnThrower and Jenifer, of course you can carry the yarn up a couple of rows when alternating between two balls. I, uh, totally knew that. Ahem. But thank you for mentioning it. You know, in case someone else doesn't know. (*feels like a moron*)
Thank you to everyone who commented on T-Twist! I'm looking forward to posting finished photos tomorrow. Even modeled ones, if my husband has time. This is a fun knit, and the size 8 needles are heaven after the sock knitting. The 540 yards seems to be plenty for the medium size. I probably could have made the sleeves even longer.

Reading: MC Beaton's first Agatha Raisin novel. I was reading a fluffy book, but it was so bad, I actually stopped in the middle. I didn't like any of the characters, I didn't care how the thin thread of a plot resolved, and the writing style was making me nuts. I *never* stop in the middle of reading or watching anything. I might start skimming a book, but my dedication is such that I kept watching The X-Files for the last two David Duchovny-light seasons, with all the random super-soldier nonsense. I go with an author/director to the bitter end. I did flip to the end of this book to check how this one thing had been resolved, but it wasn't! Instead, there was a preview for the next in the series. Yeah, like I'll be reading that.

Writing: I didn't get much done at all yesterday. Mostly napping and drinking lots of fluids.

Cooking: Soup. Lots of soup. My super-easy Tofu-Pea Soup, and Paraguayan Zucchini Soup, which I modify in the following ways: 1. Since I'm usually making it for the main course and not a starter, I use 1/2 cup of rice, 2. I use brown rice, and cook 20 minutes for the initial simmering, 3. I use 1/4 cup egg substitute, 4. I usually chuck in 8 or so ounces of frozen spinach, 5. I have been known to use the Kraft "parmesan" in the green can instead of fresh, and 6. If I'm sick, I use a lot of pepper.

Super-Easy Tofu-Pea Soup

1 bunch scallions, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
1 packet firm tofu
1 cup green peas
1-2 TBL soy sauce
1 tsp dark sesame oil
3 cups vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil; simmer 15 minutes. Serve hot.

3 comments:

YarnThrower said...

Fun post! It made me smile! You always sound so cheery, though I hope that you are feeling better.

String Bean said...

Thanks for the V &...lime.

Eek! Geronimo is scary! Vampire kitty!

Mmm...soup. I'm fond of soup as well, especially if it allows me to make a roux. I'm in love with roux.

KnitPastis said...

Check out the fangs on that cat! That's wild. What on earth was going on there? haha You're cats are so cool.
Are you starting to feel better yet? I sure hope so, here's bunches of hugs!! Now get better!