Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hey, look at the progress!

Well, I've been more productive than usual, which I hope persists. Especially since I still have tons of baby-related organizing to do (piles of shower gifts that need a permanent home).

I thumbed through my knitting books to see what project I wanted to start next. I like to have the garter stitch blanket as my mindless project for when I'm tired or watching something that needs my full attention, but I like to have something more demanding on the needles, too. I have Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, Knitpicks Shine, Knitpicks Crayon, and Debbie Bliss Wool Cotton all waiting to be baby things. I cast on for this:

Doesn't look like much now, but it will be:

Yes, that's another pattern from Debbie Bliss Special Knits, the Picot Dress. I'm using the Wool Cotton in navy. I'm debating a bit over whether or not to make the bodice part in another color. I'm thinking the texture change (from stockinette to seed stitch) might be enough. I do have a white, a light blue, or a pink that I could use for the top if I decided to go that way. Thoughts? I just can't picture what it would look like in a two-tone. I'm kicking myself for not adapting this for knitting in the round, since I'd be able to just knit every row instead of alternating knit and purl rows. I guess I haven't knit that far, so I could rip it out and start over. I may do that, since it'd make it much easier. Anyone know a reason *not* to do that? I could split in for front and back before the armholes and knit separately from there. The pattern called for Cashmerino Baby on size 3 needles, and I'm getting gauge with the Wool Cotton on size 5. I like the fabric so far, but my Addi Natura broke! The needle snapped right by the join. Fortunately, I had a Clover circular in size 5 that I moved to, though it's shorter and if I want to do it in the round, I might have to get a longer one.

Other knitting: Thank you for the condolences on my Vintage Beaded Glove. It's tough to have that happen. Stefaneener, I think the "vintage" glove style is part of the problem, but also measuring the space between the base of my thumb and the base of my forefinger, the glove's measurements are off, and there's not enough "hand" knit between the thumb and forefinger, if that makes sense. I may have just read the pattern wrong, but it's very odd. Plugging along on the garter stitch blanket. It's on size 8 needles in Cashmerino Aran, and it's very nice and mindless to knit. I'm actually enjoying it, and once it's done, I may do another garter stitch blanket as my easy project.

Reading: Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor. I'm still really enjoying it.

Writing: Ha! You thought I wouldn't have anything to report, didn't you? It's true, it's been a rough few weeks for writing. A lot to do, and a pregnancy-related short attention span. But I went back today and added a couple of scenes, and I'm very pleased with making progress. In fact, I'll report a word count: 30,132. Remember, we're aiming for 60,000, so I have a long way to go. It is National Novel Writing Month and if a bunch of people can do a whole novel in a month, I can finish this one! After all, I only have half to do in the same amount of time. This is totally against the rules of NaNoWriMo, but I really don't care. Think good writing thoughts for me, as I REALLY want to get this done before Butterbean arrives and I barely have time to shower, much less work on a novel.

Blogging: There's also a blogging event in November in which you're supposed to post every single day. I guess that so far I'm doing that (wow, 2 days down, 28 to go), but I have no idea what will happen around Thanksgiving time, or if I'll make it that far into the month without missing a day.

Cooking: Mostly leftovers around here (lots of soup, pot pie, and such), but I did roast our pumpkin seeds using the Sweet and Spicy recipe here. Yum, although mine took much longer to roast.

I also got slightly less blurry photos of our pumpkins. I'm just too proud of them not to share. There's one of both pumpkins in more light (please disregard the messy kitchen in the background...) and one of each in the dark. The darker, the blurrier, even on the low-light setting, but you can still see the effect. I'm not sure if you can see the fangs on my Cat O'Lantern, but I was pretty proud of them, as I generally have no artistic ability whatsoever, and I designed it from scratch!


5 comments:

YarnThrower said...

First of all, not sure what you are referring to regarding the "messy kitchen". Regarding the cute, cute jumper, if I was making it, I probably would have converted it to knitting in the round. Sometimes, I've heard that side seams help things to hang properly. However, I often disregard that, and am happy with my results for the most part. There is also the option of knitting in the round, and then putting in "fake seams" ala Elizabeth Zimmermann, which I have done before, and I really like...though probably not needed for this garment.... Just my two cents. I'm very anxious to read your novel!

Knittypants said...

What a beautiful dress, your daughter is going to have such a glamorous wardrobe :-)

I love your pumpkins, I was a bad mom and our pumpking is still sitting uncarved, I'm hoping the kids won't notice if I don't bring it up.

That's too bad about the gloves, they are so gorgeous, but if they aren't wearable than that's no good.

Stefaneener said...

Yeah, ditch the seams and go for the round, especially if it will help you finish. The texture change will be enough, so don't change. You won't need seams for structure because really? How much structure does a baby's dress need? It's not like it's going to be worn a lot, or not like an adult's thing.

My sister's friend started NaNoWriMo. Isn't that cool? He's wonderful. Cat's fangs look great.

I'm always a little stunned at how much you do. I must start writing down your book recommendations for my library trips. Sigh.

Rain said...

The dress is going to be very pretty in that colour. I think I'd keep it all one. I'd be tempted to knit it in the round too.

The pumpkins look fantastic.

turtlegirl76 said...

That's gonna be a cute little dress! I wouldn't worry about ripping it out, but hey, it would probably be pretty quick to catch the length back up to where you're at now.