String Bean has tagged me with a sock meme, and though you guys know I am a pretty lame sock knitter, I shall try to play!
1. What's your favorite sock yarn? (please note that the word 'yarn' is singular. Just pick one. I know it's hard.)
I guess I'll go with Lorna's Laces. They're just so soft and a little sproingy. My experience here is limited, understand.
2. What's your favorite type and brand of sock needle?
Clover bamboo dpns. I am afraid of knitting socks on either one or two circs, and I hate metal needles. Someday, I will conquer the fear of circs for socks, but metal needles hurt my hands.
3. Do you knit your socks toe up, cuff down, or sideways?
I've only done cuff down, but want to try toe up next time, whenever "next time" shall be.
4. Do you knit both socks at once or just one at a time?
One at a time.
5. What's your favorite toe and why?
There's more than one kind of toe? Hee hee. Nah, I know there's more than one, but I just do the sort of basic one. Now that I read there's a short-row toe, I have to try that!
6. Favorite heel?
I've only ever done heel flap, but I want to try short row "next time" (see #3).
7. Do you prefer plain or patterned socks?
I've only done a couple of pairs. I loved the patterned socks with Lorna's Laces, but I love the plain socks I made with Sunshine Yarns Gryffindor stripe yarn. So, to make a long story less long, it depends.
8. Who do you knit the most socks for?
It's 50-50 right now, between me and my husband, but my next pair will be for me.
9. Do you darn your socks? If not, what do you do with them?
I darn them (or worse!) when I drop a stitch or break a needle. Oh wait, I see what you mean! I haven't had to yet. Probably will when I need to.
10. Do you only wear handknit socks?
No, I have my one handknit pair, and everything else is from the store. Obviously, I need to knit more socks! I don't even have handknit slippers right now (I covet my husband's Fuzzy Feet).
Bonus question: What pattern, if any, is your basic "I-just-need-a-pair-of-socks" sock pattern based on? Do you keep it written down or memorized?
I guess the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns socks. That's what I used to make the Gryffindor socks (more or less) and I am not a good enough sock knitter to have it memorized!
I tag Tim and KnitPastis. Haha, just kidding Tim!
By the way, since I forgot in my last post, Happy Halloween and/or Samhain to everyone!