Sunday, July 02, 2006

Do-over

Blogger says no photos today :) I realized I forgot to share the story of my flight home from California. It wasn't funny at the time, but now it's slightly amusing, I think. So, I'm waiting in LAX for my flight to Chicago, which was supposed to board at 5:35 pm and leave at 6:05. Around 5:00, they make the announcement that our plane won't be in LA until 5:33, which puts a crimp in the boarding plans, since they have to get the people off the plane and clean it. They promise to make up time in the air. Okay, whatever, I go back to my book. About half the people waiting head for Starbucks. The other half head for McDonald's. We board the plane at 5:45, no problem. Once we're all on board, we sit there for a few minutes before the flight attendant makes the announcement, "The pilot is in Las Vegas, and won't be here until 6:45. Please go back to the waiting area, and we'll announce when it's time to re-board." Okay, so they JUST noticed that we don't have anyone to fly the plane? Yes, that's exactly the kind of attention to detail I look for in people responsible for moving me across the country at 30,000 feet. We all get off the plane. The people who'd headed for Starbucks before now head for McDonald's, and vice versa. Was this all a plot to boost concession sales? We ended up leaving an hour late. But, hey, at least they got us a plane AND someone to fly it, all at the same time. Impressive, huh?

Knitting: So, I made progress on the baby sweater, but realized after four more inches that I had divided for the neck 3 inches early, so I had to rip back. Argh. So, here that goes again.

Writing: Not much this weekend.

Reading: I just finished We'll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews. It didn't grab me as much as the earlier books in the series. Maybe it's the setting, a fan convention for a sci fi television show, that meant less of Meg's crazy family. Speaking of fan conventions, I have to recommend Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharyn McCrumb. It's not what you think from the title! It's about an engineering professor who authored a hard science fiction novel that the publisher decided to market with the lurid title Bimbos of the Death Sun and a cover featuring a scantily clad woman. Jay is very happy he wrote under a pseudonym and has managed to keep his author alter-ego a secret from the university. He's asked to attend a sci fi fan convention. A murder mystery ensues, but the best part is McCrumb's gentle but comedic portrayal of the many types of sci fi fans. It's a really funny little book, and also has a sequel, Zombies of the Gene Pool.

Cooking: This morning, I used homemade Cinnamon Raisin Bread to make the best French toast ever. I used three large bread machine slices instead of 6 regular slices, which just about used up the egg mixture. I could have used about half the sugar, though. I made this on my pancake griddle, which held all three slices at once. I substituted cinnamon for the nutmeg and added a splash of vanilla. It was. So good. Try it!

5 comments:

Rain said...

Airlines can be so useless sometimes.

Bah! for the baby sweater, but at least they reknit quickly.

Annie said...

Doh! That happened on my flight to Paris! One of the pilot's was still in Atlantic City so we ended up waiting for 3 hrs and finally they just decided to ditch him and we flew to Paris without him. Looking forward to your knitting pictures... :-)

Stefaneener said...

The books sound great. I'm so sorry in retrospect about your flight. I grew up in L. A., and people there. . . well, the tanning and air conditioning don't do much for brains.
Pictures later, eh?

KnitPastis said...

Sorry to hear that. I hope you had your knitting with you too! It's amazing how much knitting I get done on a plane or waiting for one. Rain is right, baby sweaters are quick reknits.

Marie said...

Well, at least it does make for an amusing story. How on earth did they manage to leave the pilot in Las Vegas?! (And not notice until everyone boarded...)
Bimbos of the Death Sun sounds delightful! I'll certainly have to read it. :)