Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Spinning a Yarn


Geronimo, hard at work.


Today, I'm going to start the actual writing part of my murder mystery. If I don't stop myself, I'll keep outlining forever. Maps of the town the story is set in, lists of characters with their family trees...it's just too much fun. I had worried briefly about being sued for libel ("any resemblance to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental" aside), but I'm not anymore. Yes, there are people whose character traits inspired characters in the book. Yes, some of the dialogue is inspired by actual conversations. Yes, some events and circumstances are similar to those in my old job. But, I was delighted to realize, it really, really is FICTION. Which means it will be much better than a thinly veiled portrayal of people, places, and things exactly as they were.


Knitting: Still plugging along on the christening shawl. It's coming along nicely, and should be easily finished before the Knitting Olympics. I should also be able to finish Belle Epoque before then. What next? Well, last year, I started my Christmas presents in March, and mostly made gifts all year. This is the Year of Knitted Stuff for Me. There will still be Christmas presents, but not nearly as many. What's on the list? Tempting II, French Market Bag, Silk Ribbed Lace Corset (Annie Modesitt), Snegurochka's Party Hat and Vintage Beaded Gloves from Handknit Holidays, a vest of some kind, a lace scarf, a hat, and a Farmer's Market Bag.


Cooking has been uninspired due to cold-related soup, tea, and toast limitations.


Reading: Sigh. The same. I have to finish Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell if for no other reason than to be able to post it here.

3 comments:

snowdrop said...

hi there! nice blog! i just started mine, too... i just figured out how to post pictures, which isn't so difficult after all...

String Bean said...

Your Geronimo looks exactly like my Fat Sampson. He lays in exactly the same way and loves, absolutely loves belly rubs. He can't get enough. He sleeps all day, too, except when he gets up to eat.

gourdongirl said...

Really impressed with your blog. One I have put on my must revisit list. Well done