Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Short Attention Span

Since I can't seem to handle working on larger knitting projects, I cast on for the Simple Baby Top and Socks with Contrast Stripe (or something) from Debbie Bliss Easy Knits. The main color is Debbie Bliss Wool Cotton in Purple-Blue and the contrast color is Rowan Wool Cotton in pink. The pattern is basically a polo with a couple of rows of contrast color on the edges. The pattern photo is light blue with a white contrast, but I decided to go a little different. Not sure what I think about it yet. The DB and Rowan yarns have slightly different gauges on the label, but they work up the same for me, and I'm not sure I can tell the difference. I love this yarn. I'm regretting my decision to knit as is instead of converting to knitting in the round, but I'm done with the back, so I'll just keep going. Here we are so far:



Writing: Slowly chugging out chapter 1 rewrites. I'm so much happier with the opening now. I think it's much grabbier.

Reading: Since the World Cup started, my husband's been pretty occupied with 2-3 games a day, so over the weekend, I watched all 4 Harry Potter movies. Then I had to read books 5 & 6. And every time I finish 6, I think "why did I not wait to re-read this until just before book 7 is out???" I like the Harry Potter movies. They don't replace the books for me at all, but they're companion pieces I guess. I finished my Clive Cussler (skimming the last 100 or so pages because...wow, needs an editor) and was predictably entertained. I'm not sure what's next. Maybe I'll start the Harry Potter books again. Or start Trollope, whom I've never read.

Cooking: Not much. I did make frozen bananas, which my grandmother used to make with us when we were kids. The simplest version is 1. Peel a banana. 2. Wrap in foil or waxed paper. 3. Stick in freezer. I dipped them halfway in melted chocolate chips. You can also use Magic Shell topping. Or brush with melted chocolate chips (or Hershey's Kisses), then roll in chopped nuts, shredded coconut, etc. For "fancy" eating, impale with a popsicle stick or skewer before freezing.

7 comments:

Knittypants said...

I like those colors for the sweater. I am planning on doing a similar design by Bliss for Jarvis one of these days. Pretty similar colors, too, except my blue is lighter and the contrast is white.

Rain said...

The sweater looks great in those colours, they look really good together.

Kate said...

You've never read Trollope? - You've never lived! Read "The Way We Live Now" and tell me there aren't parallels, on just about every page, with the way WE live now. Go on, I dare you.

KnitPastis said...

Those frozen bananas sound so good!
Sweater is coming along very nicely.

Rachel said...

The sweater looks great! How are you liking the wool cotton? I didn't really care for it right at first, but now I've become a pretty big fan of it. I love how durable it is.

Marie said...

I really like the color combination. :) Looks to be very nice.

KnitPastis said...

Hey girl! I just realized I don't have your email address to email you back! Send me an email so I can write you. Thanks!!