Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ta-Da!

In plenty of time for use during the cold weather (though not today...today, it's to be in the 60s), the Tesla Scarf:



Lovely and feminine from the diagonal ruffle at one end:


to the cast-on ruffled edge:


It's got drape and elegance and warmth:


Pattern: Tesla Scarf by Deb Barnhill

Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Tiziano Red (just about one full skein)

Needles: Size 5

Notes: This pattern, which I first saw on Turtlegirl's Bloggy Thing, is a pleasure to knit. The ruffle at the cast-on edge takes a bit of concentration, but that's only one row. Once that's done, the easy-peasy lace pattern just clicks along. Before you know it, you're near the end and have only an ingenious diagonal final flourish to enjoy. I'm sure it's divine in the Sea Silk called for, but I had the Malabrigo on hand with a scarf in mind, so decided to go for it. I never regret using Malabrigo, and the scarf is soft and richly red with subtle variegation. All in all, a fantastic project. I'm going to miss this purse knitting, and I would certainly make this pattern again as a gift for someone special.

In other knitting news, Hjalte is still almost at the armholes on the front. Whatever. The ribbed tube that was the early stages of the Two-Fisted Tank from Pints and Purls is a longer ribbed tube:



I am definitely doing one of the Calmer tops after this. Maybe Audrey (in Carnation). Or maybe Tomato in the Knitpicks Simply Cotton.

Reading: I finished re-reading the Thursday Next series, and finished Death at the Alma Mater, the third in the Inspector St. Just series by G. M. Malliet. Malliet manages to both parody and honor the conventional mystery novel, in a thoroughly enjoyable balancing act. The first in the series is Death of a Cozy Writer. This installment takes place at one of the lesser Cambridge colleges on alumni weekend, and is great fun (as expected).

Writing: Not much this week. I've been up in the writing nook, but mostly getting started again.

Cooking: I did a very nice roasted vegetable thing, with Jerusalem artichokes, carrots, potatoes, and garlic scrubbed, chopped, and tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roasted at 425 for about 20 minutes. And served over farro (2 cups farro cooked in 5 cups salted water for 45 minutes, then drained) with parmagiano-reggiano. Delicious and simple. I used some of the leftover farro in a basic vegetable soup the next day. I haven't been very into cooking lately, but it seems like it's coming back a bit.

3 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

! Love it! I'm so glad you made it. It's so pretty!

KnitPastis said...

The roasted vegetables you made sound really good!

YarnThrower said...

WOW -- I like your new look!

60's? When I went to the gym this morning at 5:00am, it was sub zero here, and I think it's probably around 10 degrees now? Definitely a day in which a scarf was required as I walked home from the bus stop!! Love the ruffles on your new scarf! Very cute, and sort of fun that it is asymmetric...